Rules: Once tagged, you're supposed to link to the person who tagged you. Then, post the rules before your list and list 8 random things about yourself. At the end of the post, tag and link to 8 other people and then leave them a comment telling them they've been tagged.
1. I proofread the above rules before posting them, and corrected one grammatical error and one typo. You knew I was neurotic about the written word, but did you know I was that neurotic?
2. The Birth Order Book says that oldest children tend to be rigid rule-followers, but I am an exception to that. I think this is because my mother is very, very much a rule-follower, and I'm sort of... in rebellion against her? Can it be considered rebelling against your parents if you're twenty-five years old? My mother is always very concerned with doing things the "right" way so that you won't get in trouble with "them" (whoever "they" are), and although I do hate being yelled at, I often do things like exit where a parking lot is clearly marked "entrance only." My mother would NEVER do that.
(I love you, Mom!)
3. I have a nearly-photographic memory. Back in my marching-band (dork) years, I could memorize my music in a couple of days (it took some people weeks) just by spending a while looking at the pages and committing them to memory, then reading the notes off the pages that were conveniently stored in my head. Having a photographic memory served me very well in school.
4. I used to be a relatively picky eater, but now I will eat most things you put in front of me. However, here are three things I cannot imagine I'll ever want to eat: yogurt, bleu cheese, and anise-flavored anything. Here are three things I cannot imagine I'll ever not want to eat: bacon, apple pie, and Better Made Red Hot Barbecue potato chips.
5. I am very particular about the sort of lights I like on my Christmas tree: C7s with opaque bulbs. When we went to buy them we could only find strings of C7s with clear bulbs. There wasn't time to order them online and have them for our tree that year, so we bought the clear strings and a bunch of opaque replacement bulbs and I switched out every single bulb on four strings. (Yes, I made a pattern.) I am nutty.
6. I can't do cursive handwriting. All my elementary school teachers said that we wouldn't be able to function successfully as adults without it, but sometime in high school I just started using a scripty print instead and I haven't been able to write cursive since. I have to say, the teachers lied. A lack of cursive-skill has not cramped my style at all, and I've known plenty of very successful people who wrote, basically, chicken-scratch. Perhaps what the teachers meant is that you can't function successfully *as an elementary school teacher* without being able to write cursive. That I would believe.
7. I get motion sick very easily. The first time I ever went sailing, with my oh-so-dreamy boyfriend on his dad's sailboat, I threw up over the side of the boat. It's a testament to the virtue of said boyfriend that he held my hair back, didn't show the tiniest bit of revulsion, and - three years later - married me.
8. I can tie a cherry stem in a knot with my tongue.
Just to show what a rule-breaker I am, I'm not tagging eight people. Instead, why don't all of you leave at least one random fact about yourselves in the comments? That should be fun.