This afternoon we're making the ninety-mile drive back to our hometown for the weekend. Under normal circumstances we wouldn't have planned a trip, even one this short, so close to my due date. But these are not normal circumstances: my best friend from high school is getting married tomorrow. (She's actually my best friend from high school, and junior high school, and fifth grade, which is when we became inseparable at the age of ten.)
She and her fiance live in North Carolina now, but they are obligingly holding their wedding back here in Michigan, so that we can attend. (Okay, the choice of location might have something to do with the fact that they both grew up here, and their families live here, and all that - but it's nice to think that they also care about us being able to attend. Which, actually, I think they do.) (Awwwwww.)
As you might have guessed, the bambino has not yet made her appearance. At my OB appointment on Tuesday I was just over 1cm dilated and 80% effaced. The doc said we're on track for my due date; I know from other women that 1cm and 80% can last for weeks, so I'm hoping the doctor is right. He has delivered over 4000 babies, so he should know something.
Now that I haven't gone into labor and we're heading out for the weekend, I'm telling Pahoehoe I'd prefer it if she'd hold off until we're safely back home on Sunday. If I don't post before then, you can assume all is quiet on the birth front.